thunderbird upgrade - wtf?

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Wed Oct 14 16:03:31 UTC 2009

Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Legally speaking, it is important, if I am ever called into court, to be
> able to show a distinct separation between my personal email and my
> NDA-heavy Red Hat email.  And, bboth of which must be separate from my
> micro-micro-corporation.
>
> If one does not demonstrate intent at creating "walls" separating legal
> entities, it becomes a whole lot easier for a GarzikMicroCorp-related
> lawsuit to subpoena my personal and Red Hat email.
>
> Separation of data is basic legal CYA.

I fully understand the separation of email accounts, but what I'm
getting at is the storage of your binary data on the hard disk. If you
keep any personal email on your hard disk, and the whole disk is
subpoenaed, your personal+RH email will be on it. The only safe way to
prevent that is to not use TB at all. It keeps caches of everything
whether you like it or not. In fact, it might be a cool feature to add
to TB - a "corporate mode" so to speak - that prevents any and all local
storage of email data.