Re: Updates-testing

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009, Mike McGrath wrote:

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009, Alex Hudson wrote:

On 14/10/09 16:47, Seth Vidal wrote:
yum downgrade pkgname

it works fine for the simple-ish cases.

If that works, then gravy. I can't admit to having tried it in the past -
although, I'm not really a yum user, I use packagekit, and indeed pk whines at
me to turn off the legacy software when I run yum ;) Ideally, for me, this
would be something pk can trigger (and maybe give me a way of contributing to
the testing karma at the same time - that would rock).

Even with downgrade, that's a user action.  If the user happens to know
about it they'll be ok.  I'm more interested in what options a packager
has to fix problems like this.

The packager can issue a new pkg which is the old pkg with a bumped epoch.

then the user will get that in the next update.

this is one of the reasons why epochs exist, ultimately.

-sv