Re: Are packages w/o necessary kernel modules allowed?

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 05:29:13PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On 10/14/2009 03:04 PM, Peter Lemenkov wrote:
Hello All!

Imagine an application, which relies on a specific kernel module. This
module is not a part of stock Fedora kernel (at least, yet), and we
don't allow stand-alone kernel modules.

Whether or not this package can be allowed?

IMO: no.

Packages in Fedora should "just work" and therefore must not rely on
anything which is not in Fedora.

Well I don't think this should be a hard and fast rule.
Then our opions diverge: I think it should be a hard show stopper criterion.

There should not be any room for any "cripple ware" in Fedora nor should Fedora be a stage for "closed source loaders".

Ralf