Updates-testing (was: Re: thunderbird upgrade - wtf?)

Jud Craft craftjml at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 17:19:10 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 1:13 PM, Seth Vidal wrote:
> There's no perfect.
>
> we're just going for 'good enough', really.

Ah, so package-rollback is shipped as the "halfway-effective crutch,
but it's so easy to implement we might as well offer it anyway"
solution.

Or, the excellent implementation of an incomplete solution.  [No
offense to the infrastructure design of yum, just stating the obvious
here.]

On the side, I store all of my user data and documents separate from
my own actual home partition, and with every install I just wipe the
home, and then re-link my documents and data to it.

This scheme works decently (application-specific schemas and configs
that are subject to irreversible change are discarded and recreated).
But it's a pain to compensate for an inconvenient reality (that I must
continually reinstall my distribution as a Fedora user, and I'm tired
of having to migrate user data, where even residual /home directories
leave rot).