Updates-testing (was: Re: thunderbird upgrade - wtf?)

Charles Dostale wrote:

MySQL and PostgreSQL come to mind.
/etc/yum.conf might have " nodowngrade=mysql-server postgresql- server " in the default file.

Seth Vidal wrote:

I have no idea what that would do? just tell the user "tough noogies"?

" <packagename > can't be downgraded because of file format changes "

Essentially, yes, tough noogies.

The alternative is for the downgrade to execute, and even tougher noogies. I guess the decision is which set of noogies is tougher, or more acceptable. I thought that if there were known corner cases where a downgrade was really, really a bad idea, yum could keep someone from shooting themselves in the foot. Maybe the current behavior that doesn't attempt to protect against known failures is better.

--
Charles Dostale