USB Keyboard Amok?

Logitech USB Keyboard
Asus Motherboard

Approximately every 100th cold boot/system restart, the
BIOS message, as it is displaying memory, hard drives,
etc., is all scrambled, even in colour, and the beep
that normally occurs at boot becomes a single long ring
that never stops, and the system hangs, unresponsive to
any input.

To remedy this, one must unplug the computer, wait
until the LED on the motherboard extinguishes, remove
the battery from the motherboard, plug in a spare PS/2
keyboard, put the battery and power cable back in, and

Then, the BIOS settings must all be set from scratch,
as they are totally awry - no, not the defaults! If one
does not use a PS/2 keyboard, no keyboard entry is
possible. If one does not remove the battery, then some
mysterious BIOS supervisor password will be set that
cannot be circumvented (I don't use a BIOS supervisor

After having performed all of these steps, the system
works perfectly, like before, until about the 100th
time (wild guess - a long time - but often the problem
occurs 2 or 3 times in a row, then not at all for
weeks). Curiously, the same problem existed with a
previous Asus motherboard (same USB keyboard, which
works perfectly, as far I am able to determine from
regular, daily use).

Is this an Asus problem, since 2 Asus motherboards are
affected (I upgraded the BIOS, but there have not been
any new upgrades available for 18 months), a USB
keyboard problem (the problem occured on the older
motherboard while kbd, not evdev, was in use), or
something altogether different? I have been unable to
replicate the problem or determine any actions/states
that appear to produce it.