Thunderbird 3.0rc1

mcloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 19:05:24 UTC 2009

David <dgboles <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > I presume that it will go out with GLODA and smart folders turned OFF?
> >

> GLODA  -  Global Search and Indexer  -  is defaulted disabled from
> Mozilla. I am forever seeing users talking about having 'emails going
> back years' and this feature would help in searching for that question
> and answer that might solve a problem. And once indexing is done the
> first time it is not a 'machine stopper' to use it enabled.
>
> However you don't need it if you only want to count the emails and never
> search them.

I don't know if you saw the rather extended thread recently concerning the
release of thunderbird 3.0b4 but there were significant problems with GLODA.
 Having it off by default and make sure users are informed that it is
available is the better way to do things - however in 3.0b4 it was ON
by default and caused a huge headache for users with significant volumes
of mail across multiple accounts.

I'll refer to the thread if you missed it.