Status of touchpad support in F12 for kdm?

mcloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 19:10:53 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler <at> chello.at> writes:

> No, tapping is disabled by default distrowide, there's nothing KDM can or
> should do about this. This is an intentional decision by the upstream
> Synaptics driver developers. Most touchpads have dedicated buttons you can
> press, which are much harder to click accidentally than it is to trigger an
> unwanted tapping click.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Given the recent long thread concerning upstream decisions about defaults in
Thunderbird 3.0beta4 it seems to me that just because upstream makes a specific
decision does not always mean that is the best decision. What happens
when releasing a package in Fedora can be given a possible better decision
than upstream at times - I wonder what others feel about the defaults in this
 case for touchpad behaviour?