Status of touchpad support in F12 for kdm?

Jud Craft craftjml at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 20:42:28 UTC 2009

> I suppose at least this does work even if upstream policy is not to make this
> available - however for a newbie just installing F11 and wanting this available
> it is not obvious from install notes or release notes as far as I remember?

It's important to note...

The reason why you can't configure any of this stuff ISN'T because
upstream wants to stop you from enabling touchpad tapping.

GNOME has never actually supported "global settings" on the login
screen in the first place.  The login screen runs a special account
that doesn't have the same flexibility as a normal user (who can make
his own settings).

Notice how we can't configure the volume at login either?

I'm just glad they finally got global network settings on the login
screen.  (Not sure when that comes to Fedora though...)

And guess what?  Windows doesn't let the average user configure any of
this stuff either.  You've -still- got to go mess with weird registry
settings.  So it's not specifically a GNOME thing.