Eternal 'good file hashes' list

Ralf Ertzinger fedora at camperquake.de
Tue Oct 20 06:45:40 UTC 2009

Hi.

I was wondering the other day how much space the file information (i.e. the
stuff that rpm -V checks against) takes up in an RPM file. And, going from
there, how much space we would waste over the years if we kept this
information for every RPM ever built by koji.

The idea would be to have a database of known good file information that is
separate from the local RPM database, so one may burn this information to
a bootable CD (or DVD) to be able to verify the integrity of the local
files (as long as the files came from a fedora built RPM file, that is).
Another possibility would be to load the information from the net, on
demand.

How much data are we talking about, roughly?