On updates to stable releases

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 03:24:57 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> I don't really want to revive the thread about automake 1.11, but I do
> want to point out that it did break actual buildability:
>
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=1761549&name=build.log
>
> Please, people.  Don't update things in stable releases just for fun.
> Particularly if your package is part of the build environment for
> something else.  I don't care if it bills itself as "just a bugfix
> release"; that's how you know it's lying.

You missed the whole point of the previous discussion. It didn't go
unnoticed, did it?

I mean, a build failure is hard to miss. As soon as it fails to build
you know that it failed to build. You can't be happy as if your
package has been built successfully when it actually failed. If you
are happy that your package failed to build, then either there is a
problem with you or a problem with the rest of us. In either case the
outcome is the same: The package *failed* to build.

Please come up with an example where there are no warnings in the
build logs and the package builds and installs fine, but it is broken.

Orcan