Including windows-binary files for cross compiling into package

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Mon Oct 26 18:42:56 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 11:15 -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> If it's true cross support, then that should be a noarch package and the
> file names it uses should not depend on %{_lib} that way.
> Arguably it even belongs in %{_sharedir}, since it is fixed binary content
> across all host machines.

Those files are not architecture independent. They are somewhat similar
to .o files. They contain the run time library for the language,
compiled to native windows object files. If you want to compile your own
program with them afterwards, they are linked together into a windows
executable.

You could argue that they should belong in a -devel package. But since
this package is a compiler, we decided not to split it up into a devel
package and a non-devel package. As that would be pointless, as one will
not work without the other.

Joost