Re: Buyer Beware: A Major Change in NFS (in Rawhide) is about to happen

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 02:06:45PM -0400, Steve Dickson wrote:
> On 10/26/2009 01:34 PM, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> > Steve Dickson <SteveD redhat com> writes:
> >
> >> On 10/26/2009 12:06 PM, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately, this sounds like "only".  Is it out of the question to
> > make the client look for this case (an upgraded client in an existing
> > unupgraded, unchanged network) and handle it?
> We talked about it... See http://linux-nfs.org/pipermail/nfsv4/2009-October/011471.html
>
> But in the end, I decided not to do this since its not clear how the change
> would interact with other NFS servers...

It's not clear to me how falling back to NFSv3 if v4 fails (and the
version wasn't explicitly set to v4) could ever cause a problem - it
might not help, but under what circumstances could it possibly be
harmful? I had a look at the linked thread from linux-nfs and no-one
there seemed to come up with anything concrete.

Ewan