Re: Looking into LLVM

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 1:35 AM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram fedoraproject org> wrote:
> Has anyone been looking into building Fedora with it to see how the
> performance impact is?

I built about 5 or 6 of the C programs from
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/  with clang and gcc, and
unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) all the gcc programs ran
faster. Perhaps in a source distro you'd have different priorityies
but for Fedora I think the compile-time / run-time trade off is
clearly worth it.

As for C++, I couldn't get some of my programs to compile as it seemed
to spew at some of the template usage. Anyway it looks very promising
and I look forward to using it in the future (especially with its
non-nonsense licensing).

Also I'm sure the freebsd folks would have a tonne of insight to offer
( http://wiki.freebsd.org/BuildingFreeBSDWithClang )