ld ignoring parts of LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

Hi,

this is slightly off topic, but may be relevant for fedora developing,
too:

I have set up a small test bed for an application I am converting to a
autotools build system. In this testbed I have:

./lib/libfoo.so
./lib/bar/libbar.so

When I add the lib/ entry to LD_LIBRARY_PATH it is recognized and
scanned for libraries. The same for the lib/bar entry. But when I add
both, the lib/ entry is ignored completely. Is this normal?

regards

Christoph