Re: Font rendering slightly degraded in recent rawhide

Dne 29.10.2009 15:34, Nicolas Mailhot napsal(a):
It is well known that some old fonts like Microsoft core fonts have bad/buggy
hinting (MS hides the problem by adding font-specific workarounds in its text
stack). They should certainly never be used to evaluate if a general default
is good or not.

(that is also something to consider before activating the patented bytecode
engine: in-fonts hints are not necessarily better than what freetype
auto-computes in many cases)

I don't think we should back progress in order to be friendly to buggy closed Microsoft fonts. I know they are quite common outside of the Linux world, but I think

a) our free fonts are now so good, that we could limit ourselves to this FSF-nirvana ghetto, it doesn't cost that much, b) many modern fonts (e.g., my preferred Inconsolata) just rely on real hinting being present, and it doesn't work that well with auto-hinter. Just because of this font, I have switched to freefont-freeworld and I cannot be more happy with it.

Really looking forward to Behdad freeing us from the old freefont stuff.

Matěj

One reason that life is complex is that it has a real part and an
imaginary part.
    -- Andrew König