GCC var-tracking-assignments: testing and bug reports appreciated

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Wed Sep 9 01:46:26 UTC 2009

Jakub built gcc-4.4.1-10 earlier today, with a new feature that
generates much better debug information in optimized programs.

The feature has been under development for a couple of years, and it's
recently been accepted into GCC, for GCC 4.5.  We've backported it for
Fedora 12.

I'd appreciate if you Cc: me on any bug reports you hit that might be
related with this new feature (GCC internal compiler errors, verify_ssa
failures, crashes, etc).

It's very important that any such bugs you run into be reported quickly:
I'm going to be around this week, full time, working on this, but my
network connectivity will be poor at best next week.

In case you suspect a problem might be caused by this new feature,
instead of say untagging the GCC build, please instead install a
temporary work-around in your package to compile with the flag
-fno-var-tracking-assignments.  If it compiles with this flag, the you
know I'm the culprit.  Mentioning the successful use of this work around
in the bug report may help prioritize the resolution of bugs.  If you
follow this path, I suggest also creating a bug report on your package,
blocked on the resolution of the GCC bug, so that, once the GCC bug is
fixed, you're reminded to remove the work-around.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation,