GCC var-tracking-assignments: testing and bug reports appreciated

Mark Wielaard mjw at redhat.com
Thu Sep 10 21:18:26 UTC 2009

Josh Boyer <jwboyer <at> gmail.com> writes:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 01:43:26PM +0200, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> >Because we really want it in F12, to make e.g. systemtap usable. It got
> >quite a lot of testing already and has been in development for 2 years.
> >Originally it was expected to be merged early in the summer, testing
> >rawhide gccs have been prepared already in early August.
>
> So systemtap wasn't considered usable before this?  I am not a GCC
> expert, but I can see how this feature would help it.  But it was surely
> usable before this, right?

Better debuginfo and better systemtap tracing support is part of
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SystemtapTracingRefresh
which is targetted at F12. But better variable tracking in the
dwarf output of gcc will also help other observability tools in
Fedora (like the updated gdb/archer).

Cheers,

Mark