Introduction to a new SIG for creation of Live DVD

Andre Robatino andre at bwh.harvard.edu
Tue Sep 15 17:29:19 UTC 2009

On 09/15/2009 01:15 PM, John Reiser wrote:
>> I tried doing this with the Live CDs for F10 and F11:
>
>> Parallel unsquashfs: Using 1 processor
>> FATAL ERROR aborting: failed to read fragment table
>
>> What am I doing wrong?  (I'm using the i686 live CDs.
>
> What versions are involved?   [unsquashfs -v -ll foo.img]
>
> unsquashfs version 4.0 works for me on
>    F12-Snap2-i686-Live.iso/LiveOS/squashfs.img
> when run on either Fedora 11 or rawhide for Fedora 12.

I'm using the latest F11 version of squashfs-tools on a fully updated
x86_64 F11 box.  Just discovered that it works on
Fedora-11-i686-Live.iso, but fails with F10-i686-Live.iso.  So the new
question is, why doesn't it work with the F10 image?

Also, after expanding squashfs.img for F11, it gives me another single
huge (over 3 GB) file ext3fs.img.  I know that rsync doesn't work
particularly well between install images - going between the F11 Preview
and Final DVDs required about half the full ISO size, while the deltaiso
was more like 5%.  It would be completely useless for the leap from
Fedora N to (N+1).  Unless there is a way to expand the Live image into
a file tree where many of the files haven't changed, it looks like rsync
won't be much help here.