status of forked zlibs in rsync and zsync

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 15:36:12 UTC 2009

On 09/16/2009 03:32 AM, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> 2009/9/15 Simo Sorce <ssorce at redhat.com>:
>> On Tue, 2009-09-15 at 12:34 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>>> This would be great if maintainers were willing to fix issues after
>>> the
>>> fact.  Look at rsync -- there's no incentive to fix the library issue
>>> at
>>> this point because rsync is already in the distribution.  We need to
>>> fix
>>> this lack of incentive for other reasons -- but we need to fix it
>>> before
>>> we start trying to get more packages into the distro with less initial
>>> quality.
>>
>> Sorry but the packager may have no way to influence upstream.
>> And to be honest having a huge patch against rsync and/or zsync to
>> extract a library against the will of the rsync and/or zsync upstream is
>> contrary to fedora policy as (AFAIK).
>>
>> And yes I am the maintainer of rsync and I am not doing the job, because
>> I don't want to have to create or maintain such patcheset until the day
>> I am reasonably sure upstream will want such patches.
>>
>> Finally as ajax said, we need to be reasonable, I don't think this
>> problem warrants blocking our acceptance of zsync.
>
> Looking through the mailing list archives, as far as I can tell, noone
> has tried this course of action yet:
>
> 1) Ask zlib upstream to accept the changes that the rsync devs made to
> zlib and issue a new release

Upstream tried this but the exact conversation is not available that I
can find.  There were some notes on rsync's mailing list about there
being issues with the patch but not precisely what those issues were.
It could just be cleanup.  It could be architectural differences.

> 2) Ask rsync upstream to support the new version of zlib
> 3) Ask zsync upstream to support the new version of zlib

rsc and cassmodiah looked into #3.  I believe the author of zsync didn't
want to be responsible for the library (even though he's responsible for
the copy internal to zsync).  No one has tried #2.

-Toshio