Re: Script to detect conflicting files in PATH within a yum repo (was Re: conflict between libotf and openmpi)

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009, David Malcolm wrote:

On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 18:45 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
Which makes me wonder, how could this conflict have been avoided?  Is there
a tool that would check any new package to see if any object* in it would
conflict with any existing package?  If not, sounds like a good thing to
have.

* Here, object means filesystem object.  I'm not sure if there are any other
types of objects to worry about.
Brainstorming: a script that walks the yum repo's filelist.tar.gz, and
figures out a list of filename collisions, filtering by directories in
the default PATH

Attached is a first pass at a python script that does this.

Output from the script when run upon [1] is below.  Caveat: the script
probably has bugs.

Does this look useful?

David,
 Yes it does look useful.

I wrote something similar:

http://skvidal.fedorapeople.org/misc/potential_conflict.py

which is what I believe autoqa is starting from for their file conflict checker.

-sv