selinux hasn't been running for over a week

Stephen Smalley sds at tycho.nsa.gov
Fri Sep 18 14:05:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-09-18 at 10:01 -0400, Steve Grubb wrote:

> > Yes in permissive mode load_policy will return 2 if it can not load policy.
> > I guess dracut should also look in /etc/selinux/config to see if the
> >  SELINUX  environment variable is not set to enforcing.
>
> What about interaction with the kernel command line? What the kernel was given
> is listed in /proc/cmdline. iow, if I boot with selinux=0 and the config says
> enabled, shouldn't the kernel command line take priority?

That all gets taken care of inside of libselinux
selinux_init_load_policy() function, which is what load_policy calls.

> > > You mean if the machine is in permissive mode, it should load_policy, but
> > > not  crash. But it should log the reason so it can be debugged.

> > > And if chroot fails, we need to handle it.
> >
> > This will probably crash anyways
>
> In the code I looked at, only if it returned 3...

load_policy exits with 3 if the load policy failed and the system was
supposed to be in enforcing mode (based on the combination of kernel
command line arguments, which do take precedence, and
the /etc/selinux/config setting).  It exits with 2 if the load policy
failed and the system was supposed to be permissive.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency