Xinetd resurrection

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 21:46:19 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 1:24 AM, Matej Cepl <mcepl at redhat.com> wrote:
> Martin Langhoff, Fri, 18 Sep 2009 17:29:48 +0200:
>> In other words, xinetd is a saviour when you are running OLPC's School
>> Servers :-)
>
> That's not the point Steve was trying to make (I guess) ... what you need
> could be easily as well accomplished by its predecessory inetd server

I've used both. xinetd has lots of useful features (conf.d-style
config, rate limiting, etc). My understanding was that it aimed at
being a better inetd, and within those goals, it definitily does the
trick. And anyone taking on xinetd maintainership has my respect and a
few beers next time we meet.

Maybe inetd has grown all those same features in the meantime? If it
does, the manpage I have at hand right now doesn't know about it.

cheers,