status of forked zlibs in rsync and zsync

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Sep 28 19:53:21 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 13:28 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On 09/16/2009 08:59 AM, Jochen Schmitt wrote:
> > Am 16.09.2009 17:47, schrieb Toshio Kuratomi:
> >
> >> That still leaves open the question of why no one has asked rsync
> >> upstream to make their fork publicly available instead of hoarding
> >> it as a private, internal copy.
> >
> > I would ask, why the modification will not integrated in the
> > 'official' Fedora zlib package?
> >
> > After this integration the fedora maintainer can forward the pach to
> > the upsream author.
> >
> And a short followup -- I've gone through the zlib-devel mailing list
> archives now.  I was unable to find any request for the rsync patches to
> be merged into mainline zlib.  The mailing list archives only go back to
> March 2002, so it could be that the request to merge came before that
> directly to one of the zlib authors.  But if so, there's not a record of
> what problems, if any, there were with the patch.

My follow-up on this: I'm pursuing two tracks.

I've mailed zlib maintainers directly - they specifically ask for
questions to be sent to a direct email address rather than the
zlib-devel list - to ask what their position is on this, so we can get
some clarity there. I will pass on what (if anything) I hear back from
them.

Secondly, where would be the appropriate place to propose accepting
zsync with the internal zlib? Is that something I should bring to the
packaging committee?

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey