bitmap-fonts by default?

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 14:50:51 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 11:29 PM, Jens Petersen <petersen at redhat.com> wrote:
> We have been looking at updating bitmap-fonts recently,
> and noticed that it is still listed mandatory in the comps
> @base-x group.
>
> So I just wondered a couple of naive questions:
>
> - does bitmap-fonts have to be installed by default?
> - what actually needs it?
>
> Jens

XEmacs needs it.  We have an explicit reference to a LucidaTypewriter font.

We started to transition to fontconfig 2004-ish.  Unfortunately, the
developers who started that effort have since mostly disappeared.  If
there are any competent fontconfig developers who could give us a hand
completing the transition, please stop by xemacs-beta at xemacs.org and
say hello.  I will personally send a box of home-made oatmeal raisin
cookies [1] to anyone who can help us finish the job.

Footnotes:
[1] I can make no guarantees about the state of crumbliness on
arrival, of course.
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/