Our static Libraries packaging guidelines once more

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Tue Jan 5 16:03:24 UTC 2010

Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> writes:
> How much do we adhere to our Packaging Guidelines for static libraries?
>   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Packaging_Static_Libraries

> Mispackaged -static libraries:
>     mysql-devel  from  mysql-5.1.42-2.fc13.src.rpm
>     postgresql-devel  from  postgresql-8.4.2-1.fc13.src.rpm

As far as these two go, I think it's just a matter of the specfiles
dating from years before we had any such guideline, and not revisiting
the point since then.  I don't have any particular objection to removing
the static versions of their libraries.  On the other hand, with the
guideline being so widely ignored, I'm not in a hurry to do work to
comply with it ...

			regards, tom lane