RFE: Never, ever steal focus.

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 16:53:21 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 10:00 AM, nodata <lsof at nodata.co.uk> wrote:
> I'd like to suggest an enhancement for Fedora 13: nothing should ever steal
> focus from the window I am typing in. If I am typing in a shell window, or
> in a word processor, or an e-mail, nothing should ever take keyboard focus
> away from that window.
>
> Clearly I'm missing something, otherwise we would have this, hence the
> posting to the list :)

Firefox's focus stealing constantly drives me nuts.  Trigger something
to load things in another tab which later pops up some dialog (like an
htauth dialog), then switch to another workspace ... and BAM, you're
in the middle of typing and firefox has stolen focus. Helps if you're
on a slow network so you have time to really get into your work on the
other window before the theft happens.

I had thought this was a consequence some non-standard window manager
configuration I had... it drives me nuts but I've never seemed to be
able to find the cause.

If you'd like to try it out... go to
http://www.pagetutor.com/keeper/http_authentication/index.html  middle
click the secret stuff link and then quickly (via the keyboard) switch
to another workspace.   (quickly is only required if your network is
fast and the site is fast... I've had firefox steal focus many minutes
after I last interacted with it)