CVS in the meantime

Edward C. Bailey ed at redhat.com
Tue Nov 25 16:05:17 UTC 2003

>>>>> "Karsten" == Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com> writes:

Karsten> On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 13:21, Tammy Fox wrote:
>> http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/
>>
>> This page was recently updated to let people know that the external CVS
>> server will be available by the end of the year. I wish it was available
>> now because everyone is eager to start and it is much easier to
>> colloborate if you can see other people's changes instantly.

Karsten> For easing transition of external CVS maintained projects, is
Karsten> there anything about the construction of the Fedora Project CVS
Karsten> which is unique?  Suggestions for module naming, construction, and
Karsten> practices, repository structure, branching dangers, etc.?  Nothing
Karsten> is obvious to me from reading:

Karsten> http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/documentation-guide/ch-cvs.html

Karsten> This information would be useful creating standalone CVS
Karsten> repositories which are easily integrated when the main FP CVS is
Karsten> available.

I'll go out on a limb here and give my two cents on the matter.  It would
seem to me that it would be best to put some sort of hierarchy in place on
the CVS server(s).  At the least, put modules under something like
"fedora-docs".  That would at least eliminate the possibility of collisions
with the software folks on the project's CVS box.

As for eliminating collisions between separate docs projects, the most
obvious solution is just to have everyone use the same interim CVS
server... :-)

                            Ed
--
Ed Bailey        Red Hat, Inc.          http://www.redhat.com/