docs process (was CVS Mirror)

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Aug 3 17:35:19 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 08:47, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 08:53, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > My $0.02: CVS is still locked because we don't yet have a workable
> > protocol for prioritizing, assigning, accepting, editing, QA/QC'ing, and
> > automatically Web-fielding documents. I think (hope?) Red Hat people are
> > working on the infrastructure part of that. We are here to talk about
> > those protocols, and not to just grow a plethora of third-party
> > repositories for docs.
>
> One correction: it's not because we don't have a protocol that there's
> no writable CVS access. Not having a protocol just makes a writable CVS
> next to useless even if we had it. Sorry.

This is just speaking for myself, not Red Hat, but I don't think there
is any specific work being done outside this project (read: this mailing
list) on a process as you describe - taking a document from idea through
to publication.

What you see in the Documentation Guide, on &FDP-URL[1];, and on this
mailing list is it, afaik.

This is not to say that we are without anything.  There is some process
inherent in the Documentation Guide.  It looks as if we need to start
work on some new chapters to the Doc Guide, such as "Chapter 11 Getting
a Document From Idea to Publication", which details how we want to
manage accepting submissions, editing, QA/QC, etc.  Perhaps Chapter 12
Document Lifecycle, which details ongoing maintenance, upgrading, and
support of a document once it's published.

- Karsten

[1] Just getting used to the new entities, for those who forgot that
expands to http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/docs .
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, Tech Writer
a lemon is just a melon in disguise