Process suggestions vol. 1

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Aug 11 08:27:07 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 00:18, Dave Pawson wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 03:52, Karsten Wade wrote:
> >
> > http://people.redhat.com/kwade/fedora-docs/process-docs/writing_lifecycle.txt
>
> Comment. I'm nervous about the number of 'titles' around? (Roles)

These aren't empty titles, they are roles to be fulfilled in a process.
Not intended to add bureaucracy, just layers to get stuff done and make
sure it is of a consistent quality.

> Agree the jobs need doing;
> Some 'titles' aren't mentioned again? (package maintainer)

Somewhere toward the end I mention that we may want to have a
fedora-docs RPM that goes in Core, Extras, etc., which contains a
snapshot of documentation for the related version of FC.  That package
would need a maintainer, in addition to having a process to decide what
goes into the package.

> Specifics:
>   Invalid use for emacs.
>   If you want your xml tidying up say so.
>   XSLT can indent nicely with no content change. (identity transform,
> output set to indent=yes.

I'll disagree about that being a valid use of Emacs, but whatever. ;-)

You can't blindly indent the document and walk away.  If you anything in
a <screen> or <programlisting> block that requires specific formatting
(white space, etc.) -- such as code from a program, example from a
config file, or a series of command line examples -- doing a DTD based
indent will likely mess up those sections.  If that is not true, I'd be
very happy to see a demonstration.  Otherwise, I will continue to
manually C-c C-q my XML in Emacs.

> Generally agree though.
>
> Want it marking up?

Not a problem to do it myself, just wanted to get it more set in
sandstone before going over from plain text. :)

Karsten Wade, RHCE, Tech Writer
a lemon is just a melon in disguise
http://people.redhat.com/kwade/
gpg fingerprint: 2680 DBFD D968 3141 0115  5F1B D992 0E06 AD0E 0C41