<section> vs <sect1>, ... [was: Re: usb-keys]

Mark Johnson mjohnson at redhat.com
Fri Aug 13 14:48:53 UTC 2004

Dave Pawson wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 19:01, Karsten Wade wrote:
>

>>For maintainability sake, it might be easier to keep things separate.
>>Either way, we could have a document set that covers multiple methods.
>>Fedora Doc Set: Hot Plugging or something.
>

> Due care when authoring Paul?
> E.g. if the different ways are at <sect1> level,
> its no problem to merge or separate them?
> 'nother benefit of XML?

Is there any possibility of revisiting the policy of using <sect1>
<sect2>, ..., instead of <section>?

The latter allows one to move sections around (& in to other docs)
much more easily. Also, there's a slight possibility that <sect1>,
etc., might disappear when DocBook 5 comes out.

The fedora docs policy on this is spelled out here:

http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/documentation-guide/s1-xml-tags-sections.html

IMO, use of <section> makes a document much more modular, in the
sense that it may later be incorporated into another document. I
can't recall where, but some 'best practices' presentation/doc I've
seen recommends moving to <section>.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark Johnson                     <mjohnson at redhat.com>
Red Hat Documentation Group      <http://www.redhat.com>
Tel: 919.754.4151                Fax: 919.754.3708
GPG fp: DBEA FA3C C46A 70B5 F120  568B 89D5 4F61 C07D E242