<section> vs <sect1>, ... [was: Re: usb-keys]

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Aug 13 18:13:52 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 07:48, Mark Johnson wrote:

> IMO, use of <section> makes a document much more modular, in the
> sense that it may later be incorporated into another document. I
> can't recall where, but some 'best practices' presentation/doc I've
> seen recommends moving to <section>.

Yes, I agree.

The value that you can get from an explicit section number and
associated ID tag are far less than the value of true modularity and the
ability to interleave documents.

Since this is all FDL covered materials, we do our own licensing choice
a service by making it easier to use our works in a truly free manner.

I'd recommend a standard of:

<section id="like-the-title">
  <title>Like The Title: The Details</title>

The ID has meaning to the content.  When moving chunks if <section>s
around, you can know what something is easily.  Want an idea what
sections you have in what order?  'grep "<section" *.xml' gives back
something meaningful that directly corresponds to your table of
contents.

Any other thoughts on this?  I'll hold off for a bit on filling out the
bug report. :)

Karsten Wade, RHCE, Tech Writer
a lemon is just a melon in disguise
http://people.redhat.com/kwade/
gpg fingerprint: 2680 DBFD D968 3141 0115  5F1B D992 0E06 AD0E 0C41