<section> vs <sect1>, ... [was: Re: usb-keys]

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Fri Aug 13 18:28:05 UTC 2004

> I'd recommend a standard of:
>
> <section id="like-the-title">
>   <title>Like The Title: The Details</title>
>
> The ID has meaning to the content.  When moving chunks if <section>s
> around, you can know what something is easily.  Want an idea what
> sections you have in what order?  'grep "<section" *.xml' gives back
> something meaningful that directly corresponds to your table of
> contents.
>
> Any other thoughts on this?  I'll hold off for a bit on filling out the
> bug report. :)

Up until now we've been using Documentation Guide instructions that
recommend attributes such as id="s1-top-section" or id="s2-subsection".
Will we likewise be abandoning those as well? They don't actually cut
down on portability but definitely interfere with the logic of the
document when one starts copying and pasting sections around.

Perhaps using id="sn-*" would work better, and allow us to keep most of
the guidelines as they are. I supposed sed really is our friend! :-D

--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE