mirror-tutorial

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Aug 16 18:49:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 10:05, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> I am working on a mirror-tutorial that walks an administrator through
> the process of setting up a mirror on the local network. It will also
> include preparation of repositories on the mirror for use with up2date,
> and how to configure clients to use the mirror for the most seamless
> user experience.
>
> I have set these mirrors up on request for a number of customers, for
> classrooms, small offices, development networks, and the like. They're
> also useful on home networks where the user has multiple Linux boxes on
> the inside.
>
> Level of interest?

Very.  I have a yum repository that mirrors all the the Fedora versions
I have installed, and I can do a local HTTP based install so much faster
than via CD (I don't use NFS locally).  It's fantastic.

I had a few pieces I was going to write up to contribute to
FedoraNEWS.org about how to use ISOs as the source for the mirrored
base.  This lets you save disk space, and I'm sure I'm not the first
person to figure it out, but I've never seen exactly how to do it.  Is
this something you do?  I'd be happy to contribute the pieces to both
the FDP and FedoraNEWS.org.

Karsten Wade, RHCE, Tech Writer
a lemon is just a melon in disguise
http://people.redhat.com/kwade/
gpg fingerprint: 2680 DBFD D968 3141 0115  5F1B D992 0E06 AD0E 0C41