mirror-tutorial

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Mon Aug 16 21:45:49 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 17:12, Karsten Wade wrote:
> > [...snip...]
> > > In terms of the tutorial, I'd recommend covering both methods, for the
> > > same reason -- bandwidth and disk space issues.  Some people will create
> > > their initial mirror set from a CDs they get in the postal mail, because
> > > their connection is too slow or costly to download 4+ gigs.
> >
> > Yup, I tried to start by mapping out possibilities/permutations and then
> > figure out the tutorial layout by thinking about flow for each
> > possibility.
>
> Just to get this link into the archives, perhaps throw it into the
> bugzilla when it's generated:
>
> http://www.fedoranews.org/alex/tutorial/yum/
>
> The script included in that tutorial does a nice job of getting updated
> packages from the mirror I point it at, set at my time interval.
>
> I don't know how CC and FDL licensed documents mix.  It'd be a shame to
> have to redo the implementation.  Has anyone encountered this yet?  It's
> covered by the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 1.0
> (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/1.0/).

Karsten,

This brings up an interesting point which might be outside the scope of
this list, but I'm hoping you, Tammy and Mark especially (given your FTE
at Red Hat) might have some experience. I see your link above, and want
to be clear that, to this point, I have not visited it.

It looks to me like the CC BY-NC-SA is incompatible with the GNU FDL in
that it (a) requires identical licensing (SA), and (b) prevents
commercial use (NC). It does, however, grant the licensor the right to
waive any of these provisions upon request. It does make me a little
leery about reading too much before I write my tutorial! My head started
spinning with "clean room implementation" and other nonsense, until I
decided to simply write mine and see how it comes out.

In general, the law says that "fair use" isn't affected by copyright of
any kind, including a CC license, as stated explicitly even on the CC
site. Just as a copyrighted work may quote from a copyrighted source
without permission, I may review Alex's work and draw an idea from it,
and expand on it. I may *not* reproduce a substantial portion of his
work verbatim without permission. I plan to write my tutorial and then,
once it's done, post about it here and in Bugzilla.

I'll leave it up to others to review my original work and tell me if
there are shortcomings at that time. If someone would then like to point
out deficiencies, I'd try and address them myself up until the point my
skills give out.

Oh, in the above, feel free to s/I/we/ for collaborative documents, I'm
not intending any autocracy here.

--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE