Doc-Process Feedback [was Re: Test email. Too quiet?]

Mark Johnson mjohnson at redhat.com
Thu Aug 19 17:56:04 UTC 2004

Dave Pawson wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 10:04, Karsten Wade wrote:
>

>>Besides, I put out the ver. 2 of the process doc the other day, so I'm
>>waiting for feedback. :)
>

>>http://people.redhat.com/kwade/fedora-docs/process-docs/fedora-docs-process-en.html
>

> If you want a fast, Emacs based entry, read the Quick Start...
>
>   Need a link to the quick start ... or a statement its tba

Guess it's time for me to write that Emacs/PSGML Quick Start
thingee, eh?

BTW, some good notes, Dave!

Cheers,
Mark

> Know what documents are in progress; refer to bug 129807
>   Need more? If you are going to (ab)use the bug system, at least
>   document how its going to be used.
>
>   Ditto with 129784
>
> One of the reasons for using Emacs is that it is capable of indenting
> the code according to the DTD.
>    DTD's aren't fashion or style statements. No such thing as indenting
> in a DTD.
> If this project is going to use non-xml tools for diff generation,
> admit it as a shortcoming and apologise :-)
>
> If you do not have usable Web space, look for willing hosting partners
> in the project, who can build and host your beta documents.
> controversial recommendation? open
>    +1. I'll host it. Maybe also Brad?
>    Less sure about the XML. My principle has always been keep the source
> to yourself until you're ready? Issue of two people concurrently making
> mods? XML patches are (IMHO) better against a finished document?
> Comments yes, but that can be against html.
>
> Spell check all files.
>    How, if emacs is used? spellcheck in xml I haven't done. (Or is that
> obvious?)
>
> Verify that all sections have an id so all HTML files generated have
> static filenames.
>   Disagree. Overboard | unnecessary IMHO. Chunking is currently at sect1
> level.
>
> Verify the HTML Output:
>   Redundant, since its not the authors html that will be used.
> If we can't trust the toolchain to generate good links ....
>
> +1 on editor outline tasks.
>

> General.
>
>   How about a list of links (appendix)?
>   Not mentioned: Managing revisionss (fc2 vs fc3 etc) Should be in
> author section?
>

> I like it.
>
> regards DaveP

Mark Johnson                     <mjohnson at redhat.com>
Red Hat Documentation Group      <http://www.redhat.com>
Tel: 919.754.4151                Fax: 919.754.3708
GPG fp: DBEA FA3C C46A 70B5 F120  568B 89D5 4F61 C07D E242