Rough start...

Mark Johnson mjohnson at redhat.com
Mon Aug 30 00:10:41 UTC 2004

'D at 7@k|N&' wrote:

>>1. Pull the .emacs stuff in the Doc Guide into my ~/.emacs file.

<plug type="shameless">

Another user-friendly alternative would be to use my 'psgmlx'
package, which not only does all the SGML/XML editing setup for you,
it also provides the capability to tag content or add/change
attributes by right-clicking the mouse in various places in your
document. It also provides a number of color themes specifically for
editing SGML/XML documents, all of which are accessible from the
'SGML' menu when in sgml-mode or xml-mode.

To use/install it, all you need to do is to expand the tarball, run
the 'test' script, put a couple snippets in your .emacs, choose a
default color-theme, and you're up and running. BTW, specific
installation instructions are provided in a popup emacs window when
you run the 'test' script. You can download & read more about psgmlx
at the home page:

http://dulug.duke.edu/~mark/psgmlx/

If you do choose to go this route, you should either start a new
.emacs file (rename your old one), and add the snippets to it, or
else place the psgmlx stuff *after* the stuff you've put in from the
Docs Guide. Either way, don't forget to byte compile the new .emacs.

OTOH, if you're happy with your setup, don't change it.

</plug>

HTH.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark Johnson                     <mjohnson at redhat.com>
OS Product Documentation Group
Engineering, Red Hat, Inc.       <http://www.redhat.com>
Tel: 919.754.4151                Fax: 919.754.3708
GPG fp: DBEA FA3C C46A 70B5 F120  568B 89D5 4F61 C07D E242