Enable loadable module support in Fedora kernel

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Mon Mar 8 19:44:58 UTC 2004

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Patrick Masters wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've been beating my head off the wall for over a week to try and figure
> this out.  I apologize if I have the wrong list, but I'm sure this is the
> right list.

You are right, it IS the wrong list. If I knew the correct answer I would tell you
but I do not. Try the Fedora list. This list is for those that wish to contribute
to the Fedora-docs project.

> Just to start, I have searched far and wide, Fedora lists, Google, etc, etc,
> etc....
>
> I am trying to compile drbd-0.6.10 on Fedora Core 1.  It seems that
> "Loadable Module Support" is disabled in the default kernel.

No it is not. The default kernel relies heavily on modules.

> [root at calolnxpxe01 drbd]# make clean all
> rm -f *.[oas] *.ko .*.cmd .*.d .*.tmp *.mod.c .*.flags .depend
> .kernelrelease
>
>     Calling toplevel makefile of kernel source tree, which I believe is in
>     KDIR=/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2174.nptl/build
>     NOTE: please ignore warnings regarding overriding of SUBDIRS
>
> make -C /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2174.nptl/build
> SUBDIRS=/usr/src/drbd-0.6.10/drbd  modules
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl'
>
> The present kernel configuration has modules disabled.
> Type 'make config' and enable loadable module support.
> Then build a kernel with module support enabled.

You must have changed something. It is not disabled in the default kernel.

HTH,

Tom