Stylesheet for <example>

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Fri Sep 17 15:39:28 UTC 2004

I would like to see <example> sections take on a different rendered
style, somewhat like the <screen> sections. I think the right way to do
this is with an outlined box, but without changing the shade (BG color).
That should keep an <example> distinct from a <screen>.

I hope this doesn't sound trivial in the face of other work; I was
actually doing substantial FDP work when the subject came up. As I was
showing my wife a section of text I had written, which included several
<example>s, she commented that the HTML rendering was confusing because
the <example> content itself does not significantly differ from the
surrounding <para> content. On top of that, the caption appears below
the content.

We agreed that the caption is nice to have under the content for a
professional appearance, but only if the example is in some way
separated from the rest of the text. I thought introducing yet another
color of shading was excessive. We already have blue for admonitions and
gray for <screen>. Red sets the <section> headers apart. I think simply
outlining the area and increasing the margin slightly would do the
trick.

I will Bugzilla a RFE for this change to css/fedora.css shortly, but I
thought I would solicit a few comments before I commit the bug.

--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE