Request for review - update/software management tutorial (updated links)

Stuart Ellis s.ellis at fastmail.co.uk
Sun Apr 3 21:28:55 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 15:55 -0500, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> Uttered "Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com>, spake thus:
>
> > > It's really a workaround for the fact that sudo isn't configured by
> > > default. I didn't think that I could safely use sudo in the example
> > > commands, since even if the Hardening Guide was up and could be linked
> > > to, there's no guarantee that the user/admin would have successfully
> > > gone through the setup beforehand.
> >
> > I like the idea of using sudo as well, but Stuart's obviously right in
> > the more global sense of not making assumptions when you're writing a
> > doc.  But... do I sense the need for a sudo-tutorial? :-)
>
> Ahem.  Since the postulated reader has the root password anyway (or
> "su -c" ain't gonna work anyway) then why not a single paragraph
> about adding an entry to "/etc/sudoers"?  That done, all that
> off-putting, error-prone "su -c 'quote this junk'" disappears.
>
> You may want to add an admonition to clean up after ones self...

Hmm.  I'd like to be able to promote sudo (or at least handle root
commands nicely), and it definitely doesn't take much text to explain
the basic setup:

http://members.cox.net/tuxxer/s1-chapter3-sudo.html

If all example commands use sudo I guess it means either having a
boiler-plate bit of text for all tutorials that use CLI (to keep
consistency), or having a standard little article that we could link to.

It's almost the sort of thing you might stick in a FAQ, or some other
high-profile central document.   Could the Release Notes perhaps be
stretched with a "recommended post-installation configuration" section,
or similar ?