[RFC] making release notes a community effort

Stuart Ellis s.ellis at fastmail.co.uk
Wed Apr 6 18:21:32 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 19:10 +0200, Ronny Buchmann wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 April 2005 00:21, Stuart Ellis wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 13:41 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> > > As I work with the Wiki on the monolithic release notes, I can say
> > > unequivocally that it is a pain.
> > >
> > > Perhaps if we had each section with it's own page.  But then integration
> > > into a single file for /usr/share/doc/fedora-release/ is more of a
> > > challenge.
> >
> > My experience with them is that you pretty much have to submit and do
> > things the way the CMS software wants you to, or give up and find
> > another system (or just go mad).  MoinMoin assumes heavily linked meshes
> > of small blocks of content...
> Wich is not a problem, you can use [[Include(subpage)]] to get single page
> output.

I see what you mean:

http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraDocs_2fReleaseNotes_2fCore4Test1?action=raw

Neat.

> I could also write a
> MoinMoin to DocBook (or HTML) conversion.

MoinMoin > simple DocBook export would probably be a useful thing for
lots of people, not just this project, if you were interested in doing
it.

On the Fedora Wiki specifically I think that being able to pick up
material from, say, the Extras pages, as DocBook for feeding into other
documents would be useful even if we don't explicitly use the Wiki for
drafting.