[RFC] making release notes a community effort

Ronny Buchmann ronny-vlug at vlugnet.org
Wed Apr 6 19:58:44 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 05 April 2005 22:41, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 14:32 -0500, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> > Uttered Gavin Henry <ghenry at suretecsystems.com>, spake thus:
> > > What format would be good for inexperienced users to submit
> > > patches/docs in, that could be parsed by either Perl or Python, which
> > > then pumps out Docbook XML?
> > >
> > > Either via command line or a cgi/mod_perl/mod_python page?
> >
> > There is an XML diff(1)-style program here:
> >
> > http://www.logilab.org/projects/xmldiff/
> >
> > It's GPL'ed; if needed I could maybe RPM it.
>
> We've been discussing this on-and-off for a bit, because we need an XML
> diffing tool for translation.  The translation team uses PO files, and
> the current tools they use are line dependent.  Meaning, if we change
> anything in the *ML, it issues a need to check for translation, even if
> the content itself is no different.
Translation of docs with po files is a pain in the ass (I speak from
experience with anaconda-help).

MoinMoin uses character based diff, which is much more helpful. (Editors
should use the Bookmark feature in RecentChanges to have a diff from last
visited version of pages).

> One other twist in all this.  The relnotes HTML is limited in the tags
> it can use.  Ed Bailey had a specific set of DocBook tags he used, that
> did not include <*list> for example.  IIRC, he would line up <para> sets
> like they were bullets.  This is because the HTML parser in Anaconda is
> extremely primitive.  There may be another HTML parser in Anaconda's
> future, but right now this is our limitation.
So DocBook wouldn't help at all?
Putting a bit of work into htmlbuffer might be better usage of resources.
Or will anaconda use docbook(xml) directly?

> As I work with the Wiki on the monolithic release notes, I can say
> unequivocally that it is a pain.
>
> Perhaps if we had each section with it's own page.  But then integration
> into a single file for /usr/share/doc/fedora-release/ is more of a
> challenge.
now have a look at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraDocs_2fReleaseNotes_2fCore4Test1

--