review of hardening guide

tuxxer tuxxer at cox.net
Thu Apr 7 07:45:49 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 00:55 -0700, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>
> > Rahul, from what source are you deriving this?
> >

> seems to be possible in kickstart
>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/s1-redhat-config-kickstart-firewall.html
>
> but not during installation or using the firewall
> configuration utility

If I remember correctly, kickstart is the RH version of Solaris's
Jumpstart, which is a way of remotely installing desktops (or servers).
So it makes sense that this would be more configurable than a normal
desktop system tool.  And I'm not really sure how this applies to a
system that I (hypothetically) installed using CD's I downloaded and
burned.  Also, I'm not really sure where you get the idea that this
configuration even allows port ranges.  It seems that it is basically
the same tool as the 'system-config-securitylevel' tool, but designed
for creating a config script for a kickstart installation.  At any rate,
the link you sent (above) doesn't mention being able to configure port
ranges.

--
-tuxxer

gpg:  57EB F948 76AE 25BC E340  EFA9 FAF6 E1AC F1E1 1EA1