Competition and Integration

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Apr 11 14:52:04 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 00:30 +1000, Colin Charles wrote:

> That would mean getting Max, to agree to his faq becoming merged at the
> main site, and of less importance
>
> Boy were there troubles I remember when trying to sort this out at the
> OpenOffice.org project (I used to be the unofficial FAQ maintainer
> too...) There were just sadly about three other competing ideas when the
> merger came and no one seemed to agree on anything useful it'd seem

This is my biggest personal concern.  I don't want our Big Fedora Ax to
takeover the good work done by others.  I don't see a need to compete in
a doc niche unless there is a need.  Such as the existing docs are worth
replacing. :)

> >  ignore
> > it and let it continue as it is. any other ideas?
>
> If Max is happy with what he does, I say lets point to it. We should
> decentralise as much as possible (we can have a faq on our site, but we
> should allow for unofficial faqs)
>
> Now back to ubuntuguide. The step-by-step guide _really_ does help new
> users to Fedora (well, Ubuntu in that case). If someone's interested,
> something like that should happen with the faq
>
> BTW, I'm not sure if Max read's this list, but at some stage someone on
> the Steering Committee (docs) should contact him

Good idea, we want the connection done properly.  However, if there is
anyone who wants to be the writer in charge of such a derivation, that
would be a Good Think to Know.  I don't want to start such discussions
without someone committed to doing the work we agree upon.

I don't think we can possibly replace fedorafaq.org.  I know we don't
want to.  I would be concerned that our derivation would draw people
from fedorafaq.org that need to be there instead.  It would be awkward
to have a huge "Tip" at the start of our FAQ that then vaguely suggests
searching somewhere else for answers if you can't find them here.
Especially if our FAQ became highly ranked.

                       Red Hat SELinux Guide