Competition and Integration

Colin Charles byte at aeon.com.my
Mon Apr 11 16:14:40 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 07:52 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> > That would mean getting Max, to agree to his faq becoming merged at the
> > main site, and of less importance
> >
> > Boy were there troubles I remember when trying to sort this out at the
> > OpenOffice.org project (I used to be the unofficial FAQ maintainer
> > too...) There were just sadly about three other competing ideas when the
> > merger came and no one seemed to agree on anything useful it'd seem
>
> This is my biggest personal concern.  I don't want our Big Fedora Ax to
> takeover the good work done by others.  I don't see a need to compete in
> a doc niche unless there is a need.  Such as the existing docs are worth
> replacing. :)

Personally, I think let's use community resources where possible.
FedoraForum is a good example...

> > >  ignore
> > > it and let it continue as it is. any other ideas?
> >
> > If Max is happy with what he does, I say lets point to it. We should
> > decentralise as much as possible (we can have a faq on our site, but we
> > should allow for unofficial faqs)
> >
> > Now back to ubuntuguide. The step-by-step guide _really_ does help new
> > users to Fedora (well, Ubuntu in that case). If someone's interested,
> > something like that should happen with the faq
> >
> > BTW, I'm not sure if Max read's this list, but at some stage someone on
> > the Steering Committee (docs) should contact him
>
> Good idea, we want the connection done properly.  However, if there is
> anyone who wants to be the writer in charge of such a derivation, that
> would be a Good Think to Know.  I don't want to start such discussions
> without someone committed to doing the work we agree upon.

Maybe even asking Max to be the maintainer, it might be a lot better

IIRC, he has a team already...

> I don't think we can possibly replace fedorafaq.org.  I know we don't
> want to.  I would be concerned that our derivation would draw people
> from fedorafaq.org that need to be there instead.  It would be awkward
> to have a huge "Tip" at the start of our FAQ that then vaguely suggests
> searching somewhere else for answers if you can't find them here.
> Especially if our FAQ became highly ranked.

Exactly. We don't want to replace it, because we can't replace it fully.
So maybe just a pointer that there are _other community resources_ out
there, and mention some possibly useful google searches

We let page rank do the rest for us ;-)
Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/
then you win." -- Mohandas Gandhi