Competition and Integration

Colin Charles byte at aeon.com.my
Mon Apr 11 16:17:18 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 16:02 +0100, Gavin Henry wrote:
> > I don't think we can possibly replace fedorafaq.org.  I know we
> don't
> > want to.  I would be concerned that our derivation would draw people
> > from fedorafaq.org that need to be there instead.  It would be
> awkward
> > to have a huge "Tip" at the start of our FAQ that then vaguely
> suggests
> > searching somewhere else for answers if you can't find them here.
> > Especially if our FAQ became highly ranked.
>
> What about just linking the links that mention mp3's etc. back to
> fedorafaq.org?

No.

> As our disclaimer says:
>
> "Links to Third Party Sites
>
> This website may be linked to other websites which are not under the
> control of and are not maintained by Red Hat. Red Hat is not
> responsible
> for the content of those sites. Red Hat provides these links to you
> only
> as a convenience, and the inclusion of any link to such sites does not
> imply endorsement by Red Hat of those sites. Red Hat reserves the
> right to
> terminate any link or linking program at any tme."

By providing a link, that says "mp3 playback", we're circumventing that
thing called the DMCA. Or we're aiding, so to speak

We can say "Good Google search terms include: 'fedora +faq', 'fedora
forum', etc..." but we can't say, "for mp3 playback, click here
(off-site)"

Alas IANAL, there's a legal queue Karsten, that you can get Greg to put
questions like this on. But AFAIK, this has been answered by legal and
the above response is at best, what we can do
Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/
then you win." -- Mohandas Gandhi