Fwd: FYI: Choosing an XML Editor

Mark Johnson mjohnson at redhat.com
Wed Apr 20 22:36:49 UTC 2005

Here's another resource for XML editors. It was posted to the TEI list.

HTH,
Mark

AHDS Literature, Languages and Linguistics has recently published a new
Information Paper on XML editors.
http://ahds.ac.uk/creating/information-papers/xml-editors/

With a large number of XML editors now available, this Information Paper
serves as an introduction to the different features XML editors can have and
the extent to which these features are implemented. It also presents the
result of an evaluation exercise where different user groups tried a number
of the editors.

The article is based on a study by Thijs van den Broek, Benchmarking XML
editors, undertaken in 2004. The evaluation includes results of the survey
van den Broek undertook via the TEI website.

AHDS Literature, Languages and Linguistics is hosted by the Oxford Text Archive.

Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 18:45 +0100, Gavin Henry wrote:
>
>>Subject: FYI: Choosing an XML Editor
>>Date: Wednesday 20 Apr 2005 17:25
>>From: Saqib Ali <docbook.xml at gmail.com>
>>To: "discuss at en.tldp.org" <discuss at en.tldp.org>, docbook at en.tldp.org
>>
>>A review of XML editors has just been published by the Arts and
>>Humanities Data Service.
>>Please see http://www.xml-dev.com/blog/index.php#121 for info
>

> Excellent!  A much better article than the standard "Well, here's what I
> like, so this package is great and the rest aren't."  The criteria are
> clearly laid out, although it would have been good to see what standard
> differentiated the ratings for each element considered.
>
> I notice that, of the free tools, Emacs (and to a slightly lesser
> extent, jEdit) kicked butt in features, while for usability,
> OpenOffice.org (!) blew the doors off just about every other package.
>
> The perception of barriers has a lot to do with overarching usability
> factors.  I remember bringing up the idea of trying to better the
> OpenOffice.org DocBook/XML features, but it's a pretty steep learning
> curve to participate in that arena.  Maybe if we could get the attention
> of some of the XML project developers, they would be willing to at least
> hear us out for what we need.  I haven't tried the FC3.91 (FC4test2)
> version of OO.o, so I'm not sure what XML improvements they've made.
> I'm installing right now in a VMware guest to see how it looks.

Mark Johnson                     <mjohnson at redhat.com>
OS Product Documentation
Engineering, Red Hat, Inc.       <http://www.redhat.com>
Tel: 919.754.4151                Fax: 919.754.3708
GPG fp: DBEA FA3C C46A 70B5 F120  568B 89D5 4F61 C07D E242