why o why

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Apr 21 16:09:13 UTC 2005

Quoting gaurav <gauravp at hclcomnet.co.in>:

> Hi List,
>             I was wondering why this documentation submition process is
> overly complex...why don t we we use some wiki like tikiwiki or media
> wiki (of webopedia fame) to manage documents ...why I am required to
> submit docs in docbook xml format ....and check into cvs ....then built
> it .....,most wiki system have have built in work flow, revision
> mechanism, doc conversion to pdf and tons of other stuff etc
> ...........what is the requirement or need for such complexity ...
>
> Regards,
> Gaurav

I think, just as an addendum, that these types of requirements are not
only why the Fedora Documentation Project will ultimately produce fine,
proffessional docs, but also why there is a need for other sites like
fedoranews.org for less formal documentation to live.

Having said that, and my previous posting, maybe it would be good to
discuss putting up a wiki for the FDP to use in creating docs, which
someone would then convert to DocBook for submission...  Just an idea,
I've no real stake in it either way.

--
Eric Rostetter