Docs packaging

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Tue Aug 23 23:12:11 UTC 2005

Peter Boy wrote:

>Am Dienstag, den 23.08.2005, 17:56 -0400 schrieb Paul W. Frields:
>

>>* Since docs are not absolutely necessary to run a system, Extras seems
>>like the right place to me.
>>

>Hm, if there is a lack of documentation you can't use a lot of systems.
>Obviously many people can use Fedora despite of a current lack of
>documentation (as we see from FC1 to FC4  :-) ), nevertheless I would
>vote to have the documentation in the core package (at least in the long
>run).

Dont forget that packaging them in extras is a good first step and in
many cases, the logical step before requesting that they be added in core

>Perhaps it is possibly to differ between several documents.
>
>- User guide (if we would have it), yum guide, release notes, etc.
>  part of core

Release notes is already part of core, packaged with fedora-release rpm

>It isn't indeed. But may be you need some kind of documentation before
>you can use it (e.g. yum guide) or even know about it.

Not really. Fedora installer is getting the ability to use other
repositories including extras soon. I presume that detail will be in the
installation guide and users can choose to install the package along
with anything else in core. If it gets a honourable mention in the
release notes we are all set

regards
Rahul