Fedora User Guide

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Wed Aug 24 02:28:10 UTC 2005

Andrew Hudson wrote:

> Karsten Wade wrote:
>  > Any questions or thoughts to start?
> >
> > - Karsten
> >

> Thanks for the welcome!
>
> My initial thoughts on the documentation is that it is perfect for
> established users, i.e., those who have installed a Linux distro
> previously. However, if I were to put my wife in front of two
> computers, one with the docs on screen and one with Fedora on screen -
> she would not really have a clue where to begin.
>
> Looking at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/DocIdeas I quite
> like the look of the Fedora User Guide - this could be a crucial
> document to help new users ease their way into Fedora & Linux in
> general. I would see it as being written in a conversational style
> rather than a straight 'here are the facts in a particular order'.
>
> Depending on how in-depth we are looking it could also include some
> task-based exercises to get users familiar with the software. What are
> other people's thoughts?
>
> If we are to succeed in promoting Fedora, then some of the barriers to
> entry have to be removed - the Fedora User Guide would be a powerful
> sledgehammer to pound down the walls of FUD.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy

Agreed 100%.  I would say that is probably one of the most important
documents listed on that page.  It should be no small undertaking.  I
would say that the more in-depth you can make it without duplicating
other documents, the better.  I know you are a talented writer, and I am
thrilled that you have taken interest in this task.  Would you care to
put together a quick outline of your thoughts for this document?

You're going to need write access on the wiki quickly enough.  If you
haven't already, create a wiki account, and then let us know what your
wiki name is so we can grant you the necessary privileges.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

www.n-man.com